Top 10-#1 Laugh!
A few years ago I gave a talk in Argentina listing 10 of the most important lessons I’ve learned in life.
I will be blogging on these lessons every day for 10 consecutive days. I hope they will inspire you and motivate you to come up with your top 10!
#1 Laugh a lot
It’s so easy for us to be overly serious. We stress. We’re tired. We are overwhelmed. We feel guilty about the stuff we did and the stuff we didn’t do.
We need to lighten up.
The cliché is true that laughter is good medicine. Research proves it.
Paul E. McGhee spent 22 years researching the health benefits of humor; he concluded:
“Your sense of humor is one of the most powerful tools you have to make certain that your daily mood and emotional state support good health.”
He thinks laughter is so important, he calls it “the laughter remedy!”
In his book, Health, Healing, and the Amuse System: Humor as Survival Training, Dr. McGhee promotes an 8-step program:
- Determine the nature of your own sense of humor
- Become less serious and cultivate a more playful attitude in life (this is the basic foundation for your sense of humor)
- Develop a more hearty and healthy belly laugh
- Improve your joke-telling skills
- Create your own spontaneous verbal humor
- Find humor in everyday life
- Laugh at yourself, and
- Start applying these skills to cope with stress.
So chill out, lighten up and laugh!